Friday, November 1, 2013

187 : Don't Take Life So Seriously!

You have to laugh at life sometimes.  Or better yet, you have to laugh at yourself.  Here I was, 37 years old...divorced...single mother of two boys.  I had just been on my first date the other week (see post #178) and even though I had a good time, I never heard back from the guy again.  (It's okay, as you recall from that earlier post, I was somewhat expecting this.)  I had tried to put myself out there with a friend of my attorney's (see post #153) but before I had a chance to even meet him for a drink, he informed me that he had started dating someone else.  And finally, my biggest leap to date, I signed myself up for eHarmony (see post #177).  Let's just say the matchmaking site had yet to produce what I was looking for.  It did, however, provide me with some entertainment.  Now please note, that I give credit to anyone who has the strength, confidence and balls to put themselves out there.  I really do.  At the same time, though, a couple of the people I was 'matched' with were...well...just funny.  For the most part, I was matched with men that I was simply not attracted to, they weren't my "type" or I felt they were possibly a little older than what I was looking for.  But then there was the creepy guy who was standing awkwardly holding his cat with glowing, beady eyes (and to clarify the cat had the eyes, not my match).  Was that picture really necessary, buddy?  And who did you think was going to see that profile pic and think, Yes, this is just who I have been looking for!   (Okay, hopefully someone would because everyone deserved that, but that someone was not me).  I probably sound like a bitch here and for that I'm sorry, but I had to admit, the weirdness of it all was slightly entertaining.  I'm sure someone was looking at my profile too and thinking Hells No she had 2 little kids?!?  (obviously that was what my date had thought from the other night- again see post #178).  I'm not saying this from a self deprecating, poor me or depressed place.  I'm saying I am thankful that I am not taking things (or myself for that matter!) too seriously.  I am thankful that an unfortunate situation (abandonment/divorce) combined with unchartered territory (online dating) is still making me smile even if it's for the wrong reason.  You have to find the humor in all of this, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment