Thursday, October 31, 2013

186 : Trick or Treat?

Oh how much went into making plans these days, it was really rather exhausting.  I had to first solidify my calendar with my Ex.  It's Halloween next week and I'd like to have the boys. According to our settlement agreement this should work.  Check.  Then once the schedule had been determined, I then had to make plans.  I know, how hard is that?  Well, in some ways it was hard, in other ways it wasn't.  Fortunately, I had a close network of great friends and I had reached out about Halloween a while ago, staking my claim on a spot at my very good friend Amy's.  Her two boys were almost identical in age to my two boys, so our gatherings tended to be ACTIVE yet fun for all of us.  I reached out to Amy to invite myself to their home for Halloween months ago and she happily obliged.  As it got closer we began to iron out some details for the kids.  Trick or treating hours.  Dinner.  Sleeping arrangements (of course I was spending the night.  Mama needed some wine time just as much as kids needed candy!)  And then the craziest thing happened.  My kids got sick.  Both of them.  About a week before Halloween, fevers settled in.  Noses started running and with my oldest son in particular, a persistent cough lingered around.  Oh no.  Not Halloween.  Not the one thing that I had planned with my friend for my kids on the year I get them during that night.  This will pass!  I did my best to care for my kids in the days leading up to Halloween.  I didn't want their health to jeopardize the night for any of us.  Did I mention they had already been wearing their fire fighter costumes for over a month just around the house?  They simply HAD to get better.  And finally, the week of, I reached out to my friend, Amy, to help me work through this dilemma.  Now I should add that my friend Amy had been one of my best friends since we met at the age of 18.  We instantly clicked as friends in college and beyond.  But I feel like once we became moms our friendship hit an all time high.  We experienced so much at such similar times in our lives.  We could relate to each other.  We could learn from each other.  I had always cherished her friendship, but this just made it all the more valuable to me.  I called her and explained to her about my kids being sick.  And her response?

Well don't NOT bring them out here because of my kids.  Colds are colds.  Every kid has a cold or a runny nose these days.  If you need to stay home because you aren't feeling good about bringing them out, that is fine, but don't do it because of us.  We still want you to come.

Wow.  Awesome.  And so true.  I would've said the same to her.  I was thankful, relieved and appreciative to have another mother's insight and a great friend.  It was going to be a fun night.  Happy Halloween, indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment