Thursday, November 7, 2013

193 : Keep the Balance

I came across the following quote a few months ago.

"Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim." - Nora Ephron

Obviously this quote resonated with me.  I think it says a lot about a person, how they chose to handle themselves during life's challenges.  I can't say I haven't been the victim at all this past year, because I know I have.  I've felt it.  I've hosted a few pity parties for myself for sure. But when I'm starting to go down that path, I try to remind myself of something good.  It can be something small.  It can be something material.  It can be anything.  I have just been consciously trying to offset those negative feelings with something positive.  I won't become the victim.  I'm better than that.  So the other day, I was battling this nasty cold (see post #188) and I was tired and cranky and sleep deprived and feeling sorry for myself.  I'd had a long, frustrating day at work and it's those type of days that I tend to go to the bad place.  I'm divorced.  I'm alone.  I exhausted and I have to go home to my kids and care for them.  I have no husband to help.  I have no partner to take care of me while I'm sick.  Surely you can see how one might gain some momentum behind those thoughts when in such delicate shape.  But the most amazing thing happened that evening.  I got home from work and my nanny had made a pot of homemade chicken soup for me.  It was sitting on the stove, when I got home.  Warm.  Waiting for me.  She knew I was sick.  She didn't even ask, she just knew what I needed and did it.  I know, if anyone is the heroine in this story, it's my nanny!  Thanks to her act of kindness, I was reminded of the good that I have in my live.  I may have been sick, but I was not alone.  I had support.  I was loved.  I had so much more than so many people in the world.  I would not be the victim.  Nope!  Not this girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment