Friday, November 8, 2013

194 : Try Reiki

I've never been opposed to alternative medicine, but I've tended to rely more on more traditional Western medicine my whole life.  Not for any reason other than that is just what I know.  That is how I grew up.  I'm fine with going to the doctor, filling a prescription and taking pills.  Whatever it takes, man.  But more recently, I was introduced to a new form of treatment, something that previously I had never heard of: Reiki.  A good friend of mine completed her Master Reiki certification and was open to taking on new clients.  For those who don't know, Reiki is a form of energy healing.  Basically what happens is the Reiki master uses their hands to channel or transfer good energy as a form of healing.  It's not that I didn't believe in this type of treatment, I just had never really known about it up to this point.  Since the opportunity was in front of me, I thought I should take advantage of it.  My appointment was pretty incredible - more so than I had expected.  The treatment itself starts just as though you are getting a massage (but you keep your clothes on!)  You enter a dark room and position yourself on the massage table.  I started laying face up.  We had a conversation about what it was I wanted to focus on and after some discussion agreed to start the session with an overall aura cleansing.  I felt some weight in my throat and expressed this to my friend, so it was there that she began.  She never touched my throat, but rather just extended her hands over it and concentrated on that area.  And I have to tell you, it was almost like magic.  Slowly the 'weight' seemed to move out of my throat and settle down in my chest.  She repeated the exercise focusing more on my chest and once again the 'weight' moved down deeper into my stomach.  I'm not kidding, I was as surprised as anyone, but I could literally feel the weight/pressure being transferred at that moment.  We continued until I didn't really feel the weight's existence any longer.  At some point during this treatment, I noticed that I could no longer feel my feet.  It wasn't in a scary way.  I knew they were there, but I could not feel them.  I stated this out loud and my friend suggested perhaps it was because we had focused so much of the treatment on my upper body.  Crazy!  A few minutes later, my friend told me that she had suddenly gotten a vision of an owl and asked me if that meant anything to me.  I told her the only owl in my life was a figurine in my home that was a gift from my sister in law, but that was about it.  We went back to the treatment without discussing any further.  For the second part of the treatment, I was on my stomach and my friend focused on my back.  I found this part to be incredibly relaxing.  I just kind of zoned out.  I'm not sure how much time passed, but at some point my friend said the session was complete and to take my time getting up.  I felt amazing.  Calm.  Relaxed.  Renewed.  I took a sip of water and as I was accustomed to, I checked my phone.  I had a text from my sister in law.  The same one who had given me the owl.  It was very interesting because we actually didn't text all that much.  I was a believer.  Would I try this again?  Yes.  Yes indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment