Friday, November 22, 2013

208 : Be Heard

A few months ago, I received an email from the Neighborhood Parent Network 'calling all writers'.  They were requesting article contributions for their upcoming newsletter and invited all writers to share their stories.  In the past, this email probably would've ended up in my trash, but as someone who had recently discovered their passion for writing, I saw this as an opportunity.  I thumbed threw my blog and identified a post that I thought would be appropriate to share - both as a writer and a parent.  I submitted it within a couple days- feeling instantly nervous at both options of the article actually getting picked or being passed over.  They followed up with me after receiving my submission and asked for a picture and a small bio.  Again, both of which I had from my blog.  I still wasn't sure if my article had been selected, but they wanted all the information in their hands while they reviewed everything.  It would be a while before any decisions were made, so naturally after sending in my work, I moved on.  Time passed.  A couple days.  A week.  A month.  Almost 3 months.  The submission had completely fallen off my radar.  And then suddenly one day, I received an email notifying me that my contribution would be included in their next publication the beginning of January.  I was ecstatic!  I had been heard!  I felt so validated!  People (besides just my family and friends) might actually read what I was writing.  Oh my god.  PEOPLE (BESIDES JUST MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS) MIGHT ACTUALLY READ WHAT I WAS WRITING!  I suddenly felt very nervous.  But in a good way.  I definitely had a voice and had found a way to express myself. I was thankful at the opportunity to share it even further.

No comments:

Post a Comment