Sunday, November 24, 2013

210 : Make the Most of when you Host

I invited a couple friends from work to come over for breakfast this weekend.  It was kind of last minute but I was very much looking forward to it.  I had my boys, so we would all probably just be hanging out while the boys ran around us in their pjs.  These girls were sweet, they knew my kids and they would both make our Sunday morning more fun.  I wasn't planning to do anything too fancy, but then I realized I had some champagne I could chill.  Mimosas always tasted good, right?  Just in case.  I had planned my menu the day before.  Broccoli Cheddar Quiche (on Grandma Lalley's crust, of course!) fresh fruit and...well...bacon.  I picked up a couple ingredients with my boys that afternoon and prepped the filling while my youngest napped.  I had a show on for my oldest, so I was actually able to work in the kitchen and not be interrupted.  Cooking was so therapeutic for me, I had started to crave the act of it even more than the end product.  My youngest woke up and the three of us enjoyed the rest of the afternoon.  Once I got the boys in bed, I had to make my crust.  I rolled out my dough and got it perfectly into the dish on the second attempt.  Yes!  And then since I had some extra dough left, I made leaves to line the border of the crust.  It was beautiful and I was now feeling inspired.  I had just recently purchased a new table runner so I found my white table cloth and layered the runner on top.  Now I just needed a center piece.  I know it was just my friends.  I didn't need this to be fancy.  My boys would probably destroy the table before the girls even got here.  But I was enjoying pulling this all together.  I was such a creative person by nature, and life often seemed too busy for creativity.  I found a candle, a small hurricane vase and used some coffee beans to hold the candle in place.  Okay so a white/cream candle would have looked better, but this was still pretty cute.  Not bad for throwing this all together.  Not bad.  I was ready for brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment