Wednesday, November 27, 2013

213 : Get Away

Okay, so here we were just 1 day away from Thanksgiving and I was ready.  That is, as ready as I would ever be to spend the holiday apart from my kids.  Their dad would be picking them up later that afternoon and I would be making my way to San Diego.  I suppose if I wasn't going to be with my kids, San Diego was probably the next best thing.  I'd be spending the holiday with my brother, his wife, their dog and the cutest little baby boy in the area: Kingston.  This was one thing I had gotten very good at in the past year.  I'd learned to identify far in advance situations that would be difficult for me and course correct before getting there.  Just a year ago for Thanksgiving I had been with my family in Michigan (see post #211).  I knew I could go there again, but I wasn't quite ready to face everyone on this day alone.  It's not like people didn't know what had happened with me, but I just didn't want to have to live through it just yet.  I'd at least prefer to have my children there as buffers if need be.  So instead of feeling uncomfortable in my 'normal' setting, I chose to do something entirely different.  The change of atmosphere would no doubt be just the environment I needed to get through the holiday.  And the company would be, well,  just perfect.  I was very much looking forward to my trip and making my way through my first major holiday post divorce.

No comments:

Post a Comment