Saturday, November 30, 2013

216 : Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

There is one thing for certain that I have learned through divorce.  The more I am away from my kids, the more I love them.  It sounds crazy, because the more I am with them, the more I love them, too.  But it's true, distance makes the heart grow fonder.  I never would've chosen chosen divorce and to see my kids every other weekend, but things happen.  And during this time, I have learned somewhat how to make the most of that.  As a mom, I needed a break from time to time.  I needed it to be about me.  Not always.  And not even often.  Just every now and then, I needed to be something more than just a mom.  I was forced to give up my kids every other weekend.  I could have wallowed in this loss, or I could embrace it.  And I chose the latter.  Because of this, I was able to spend time with friends.  I was able to relish in time for myself.  This past weekend in particular, I was able to enjoy some quality time with my brother and his family.  I got to get get to know my nephew and witness my brother as a father, which was truly adorable.  I missed my kids every moment I was away from them, but I could enjoy the time even more because I knew that when we were back together again, I would appreciate them all the more.  It wasn't always easy, but I was thankful it was getting easier each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment