Monday, September 30, 2013

155 : Plan a Weekend Getaway

Okay, so the getaway was only a couple hours away to Detroit, but I made it easy for myself. I booked a flight so I wouldn’t have to spend 10 hours of my weekend driving alone. Been there, done that. I arrived at the airport with ample time to make my way through security only to find my flight had been delayed. The beauty of it was, though, I didn’t even care. Okay, well I would have preferred to depart on time, but I wasn’t upset that it was delayed. I hadn’t traveled sans kids in so long that it actually felt nice to have a little time to myself. Even at the airport. I noticed I wasn’t sweating at all which was quite a departure from my previous trip where I had donned two tots. Instead this time, I walked up to the nearby watering hole, grabbed a pint and sat down with my US Weekly to zone out while I waited for the flight. I was going to visit Nikki and I couldn’t be more excited. We had hardly talked that week (on purpose) so there would be plenty to catch up on. She picked me up from the airport and we went straight Townhouse for some apps and drinks. No kids. No rush. Just two friends sitting down to catch up on their lives. I had been craving that this week in particular. The next morning Nikki had to get her highlights adjusted so naturally, I went along and treated myself to a blow out. (Who wants to actually take the time to dry their hair?) Then off to the kids soccer games. The weather was perfect – it was literally the perfect Michigan fall day. I missed my boys momentarily (I always miss them when we are apart) but I appreciated having some time with my friend. I took a nap that afternoon. For two hours. And then that night we went to dinner and caught an 80s band that kept us dancing for hours. Sunday was the Bears…uh, I should probably say Lions game…That didn’t end in our favor, but the seats were still incredible. And then back to the airport to head home. So my getaway was a just a weekend. Short and Sweet. It was probably one of the better weekends I’d had in a while though. I couldn’t wait to get back to see my kids. Being away from them and doing something for myself only made me better for them upon my return. So what if my return flight would mean I’d miss the season finale of Breaking Bad. It had been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment