Tuesday, September 17, 2013

142 : Take What You Can Get

I had all sorts of things I wanted to get done last night.  I came home from work with the intention of spending some quality time with my kids.  They had been with their father over the weekend so I was especially missing them that day while at work.  I got home and was down on the floor playing with them almost immediately.  And then the bed time routine started.  It became apparent my oldest was extremely tired that evening - more so than usual.  I did my best to put on their pjs and brush team with enthusiasm even though I was tired from the long day myself.  We went into their room and got settled in beds while I read 2 books - my oldest son's choice.  And then they were out.  Or so I thought.  I came back out to the kitchen focused on making myself a healthy and quick dinner because I was starving.  And then my oldest came out and needed a toy.  Then another blanket.  Then a change of pants.  This continued on and on and on.  Our evening routine played out this way from time to time, but it seemed to be worse the days following his weekends away.  He missed me.  I had hopes of eating dinner and unwinding in front of the TV.  I had some work to do.  A blog or two to write.  A bill to pay.  An email from school to follow up on.  The list could keep going.  I finished up cooking my dinner and sat down to start eating.  It was just then that I heard my oldest crying and before I knew it, he was out of his room and standing in front of me.  He continued crying and told me he was 'scared' and that he wanted me.  How could I refuse that?  He said he wanted to fall asleep on my lap.  I knew this would probably never really play out that way, but I refused to pass up an opportunity to cuddle.  He climbed aboard and burrowed into my lap.  My dinner could wait.  The to do list could be postponed until tomorrow.  This was the best part of my day, I wasn't going to let it pass me by.  I'm not sure how long we sat there but I know it was a while.  Eventually, I suggested we try going back to bed.  He was agreed and was now ready.  I tucked him in and gave him a kiss, knowing he'd climb out again sometime in the night and come get in my bed.  I was already looking forward to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment