Sunday, September 29, 2013

154 : Surround Yourself with Sunshine

It's funny how people react during a time of crisis.  Like my colleague at work, Heather, for instance.  We were friends before any of of my personal problems began.  As in, we were friends but I didn't share with her (or anyone at work for matter) anything going on with me once problems did arise.  I don't want to say we were just work friends, because I don't think that's the case.  I guess I'm not sure how to define it.  All I know is that as soon as my life began to unravel, something very special began to bloom in our friendship.  Heather had every reason to be annoyed with me.  I had left her twice for 3 month segments to cover my job while I had babies.  Twice.  In a matter of three years.  But she was not one to complain, she was the genuinely happy for you type of person.  I always did like that about her.  But then when I pulled the LOA (see post #6) well, that could've (and probably should've) put her over the edge.  But instead, she responded with the most sincere form of support and outpour of love that I could've ever imagined.  She would text me randomly while I was on my leave, not asking when I would return, but rather telling me she was thinking of me and sending positivity and good energy my way.  She would remind me how wonderful I was.  She was not the only person to boost me up during this difficult time, but perhaps it was less expected from her because of the fact that prior to this I had never considered us to be super close.  And to be completely honest, I'm not sure I ever really gave her a reason to be so kind to me.  Not saying that I was a bitch or anything, just saying, I don't think I had given nearly as much to her up to this point and she was offering in return.  Her support (and that of many others I worked with as well) made me feel comfortable returning to work (see post #43).  And once I got back, our friendship seemed to have reached a different place.  We were tight.  Both personally and professionally.  She was there for me.  And I tried to do whatever I could to be there for her, because she deserved that more than anyone.  She brought just the right amount of sunshine and positive energy into my world every day to make things just a little bit easier to get through.  I'm not sure we would've ever reached this point in our friendship had all of this not happened.  But I can say with certainty, I'm so very thankful that we did.


No comments:

Post a Comment