Monday, September 23, 2013

148 : Pro Choice

Okay, this post is probably going to sound ridiculous.  I'm aware, but I couldn't stop myself from writing it.  I used to always like small forks when I ate.  Yup, this is really what my post is about today.  I used to always like small forks.  I'm not sure why, but that was just my preference.  My Ex knew this about me and he would always point it out.  As in, if we were having people over and he was getting silverware, he'd ask what size fork they wanted because I always liked small forks.  And then 2013 came and with it was the end of my marriage and the beginning of my new life.  So one day recently I was making myself something to eat (I think a kale salad?) and I opened the silverware drawer to grab a fork.  But right as I did, I saw a big fork as my first option.  I wasn't trying to do it to spite him, I wasn't trying to do it change who I was (it's a fork for crying out loud!) but for some reason, I suddenly wanted a big fork.  I made the switch.  I thought about how this was a big deal and I'd have to blog about it and everyone would think this was probably my worst blog to date because I was writing about utensils.  (And maybe it is.)  But seriously, it was more than just a fork.  It was about choosing something new for myself because I could.  There was something satisfying in that.  I had spent so much time over the past year feeling powerless with my situation.  And with the simple selection of silverware, I was reminded on a smaller scale, that I had options.  Many, many options.  Some of the bigger decisions in my life (where to live, how to date) were incredibly overwhelming.  So I decided to just stick with the big fork and enjoy my lunch.  For now.


No comments:

Post a Comment