Wednesday, September 18, 2013

143 : Put Your Phone Away

The cell phone.  In many ways it was one of the greatest inventions ever to enter the world.  In other ways, I hated it.  Every night, I'd go through the bedtime routine (or struggle through the bedtime routine some nights) with the hopes of sitting down and relaxing after it all.  Perhaps I'd even get a meal in or catch a show.  But then night after night, I'd fall victim to my phone.  It started with I'm just going to quick check my personal email.  A couple replies here and there.  Oh a sale at Old Navy this week.  I don't need one thing from that store but I owe it to myself to thoroughly investigate the sale items at this very moment.  I might as well check my work email, too, just to make sure I haven't missed anything.  Heaven forbid I stop thinking about work for an hour or two.  Great, now they are saying the work is due NEXT week?  We haven't even briefed that assignment yet!?!
If it wasn't email, then it was a quick move on Words with Friends.  Or hopping onto Instagram to see what was new.  Before I knew it, I'd cheated myself out of the 1-2 hours of free time I had that entire day.  And for what?  Precious time spent browsing that damn little piece of machinery?  Fielding texts from coworkers after hours?  Learning that UGG would be featured on Zulily the next day (okay, that one I actually did appreciate the heads up on).
It was completely my fault and I knew this.  My phone was my life line.  I didn't have anyone else to talk to once the kids were in bed.  It was often the end of me though, as well.  And so every now and again, I made it a point to put that thing on silent and just walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment