Monday, September 2, 2013

127 : Write a Letter to Your Child Part 2

As part of my new tradition (see post #79) it was time to sit down and write a letter to my older son.


Dear Jack,

Happy Birthday! You are 3!!! I cannot believe that my baby is already 3.  I don't know where the time has gone.  This year has been a very different year for us.  As you are starting to see (not sure that you truly understand yet) your dad and I ended our marriage this year.  This was incredibly sad for me but mostly because I was sad for you.  I wanted more than anything for you and Rory to grow up in a household where the mom and dad were together. I won't go into specifics about things, but I am sorry this happened.  I want you to know that our divorce had nothing to do with you or Rory.  I was very sad about what happened and I don't now what I would've done without you and Rory.  You both needed me so I had to pull myself together for you.  I had to be strong.  You showered me with love and affection.  You tested me too (it's okay, you were 2!) but we became very close- the 3 of us.  I am so very thankful I have you! You are very clever, even for age 3.  You impress me with your questions and ability to problem solve.  Sometimes you will say something and I don't follow so I think you are confused.  But you are always right!  You are all BOY, too.  You love construction trucks, cars and above all else - sports!  Yes, even at age 3 you already can dribble a basketball (well!), make a basket, hit a baseball, throw a ball and swing a golf club (very well!).  I'm sure there is more, too - you are definitely already very athletic.  As far as sleeping goes- you are an early bird like me.  You wake up ready to go every morning about 6-7.  This is one area that I wish you could be more like Rory:)  Shortly after your father moved out, you starting coming into my bed at night to sleep with me.  I'm sure many 2-3 year olds do this, but I think you knew I needed you there.  I was worried about it at first because I didn't want to screw up your sleep habits but I've grown to like it now.  I think you just wanted to be close to mommy which was something I needed.  I am going to enjoy it while it lasts because some day I'll probably embarrass you.  I can say with complete honesty, Jack, you have been my best friend this year.  You are the first person I see every morning and the last person I see at night.  You make me smile.  Your laughter is incredible and warms my heart.  You and your brother put me at ease and remind me daily how lucky I am.  You've helped me more in the past year than you will ever know.

Thank you for all the happiness you've brought into my life this year.

I love you.

Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment