Sunday, September 1, 2013

126 : See Life Through Your Child's Eyes

I often struggled with guilt.  I've written about this before (see post #74).  There was never enough time for all the things I was responsible for, the activities I hoped to complete and the people for whom I cared about.  It hit me the hardest when it came to my kids, especially now that I was divorced.  I began to look forward to the weekends I had to myself but then I felt guilty about it.  And now it was my son's 3rd birthday this weekend, and I wasn't even with him.  He was with his grandparents.  I would celebrate with him when I saw him, but I wasn't there with him on his actual birthday.  Guilt.  Guilt.  Guilt.  I was feeling bad about the situation and then a funny thing happened.  I called my son to wish him a happy birthday and you know what he told me?  Mommy, I saw 2 squirrels.  He told me this 3 times during our 5 minute conversation.  He was so excited about the 2 squirrels he saw in Grandma's back yard, I'm not even sure if he received my birthday message.  He was having fun with his cousins.  He knew it was his birthday, but he didn't seem the least bit concerned that I wasn't there.  He was happy.  Oh to be so young and innocent!  I wish I could approach my own life that way.  His comment made me smile and put an end to my guilt (for now).  I promised myself I would remember that one next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment