Sunday, June 30, 2013

63 : Listen to The Don

In addition to working through the divorce, I now had to solve the housing problem that had come about. My landlord decided to sell the apartment so I was forced to find a new place to live. I turned to my friend, The Don, for assistance. Everyone should be so lucky to have a friend like this in their circle. You know, it's the person that just gets stuff done. Whether it's free champagne that shows up at the dinner table or getting a limo for the Christmas party- the girl delivered every time. She had moved more than a dozen times in the city and had it down to a science. Trust me, this is someone you wanted on your side at all times.

 So, I locked down some showings and set out with The Don to look at apartments one evening after work. We hit about 6 places, all of which fell short on at least 2 necessary amenities. I had such a great place already- how was I going to top it? Or at least maintain it? It's not like it was just me anymore, I had to find a place that was good enough for my children as well. And in a neighborhood that was kid friendly. My demands of what was required had grown over the past couple years and I couldn't take anything less that what I was used to. I also couldn't pay a ridiculous increase in my rent, either. Single mom. Enough said. So there was the conundrum that I was now in. Our search that night left me feeling very discouraged. What in the world was I going to do. As if my mood hadn't been bleak enough, it began pouring rain as we finished looking at the final place. We were heading home in the showers, and I was feeling more depressed by the minute. Then my friend turned to me and gave me some advice as only The Don could give:

CALL YOUR LANDLORD AND ASK HIM WHAT IT WILL TAKE TO LET YOU STAY THERE. 
EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE.

I agreed it couldn't hurt but didn't want to get my hopes up. The next day I woke up on a mission. I reached out to my management company and told them I needed to speak with my landlord rather urgently. He called me a couple hours later, and without hesitation, I layed it all out there for him. I had lived there for almost 4 years. I had been a good tenant. I just had a baby last summer and my husband had left me and my two kids. I knew it wasn't his problem, but I wanted to know what it would take in order for me to stay. I told him of my impending divorce and how I really REALLY needed to stay put for the time being. He listened attentively and told me he would think it over and give me a decision later that night. I got off the phone feeling semi optimistic. And then he didn't call that night. I tried to tell myself it was because he still was working though everything, but deep down I worried this was not a good sign. The next day I reached out to him again. Voicemail. And then within the hour, I got a call back from him. I COULD STAY!! He was going to raise my rent (and we agreed immediately to a fair amount!) but I didn't have to move. He told me he too had just had a baby, and so my situation got to him. He wished me well in the future and said I could stay one more year but then he would for sure be selling the place. So I had bought myself some time. I took this to be a very positive development in my life and was so very thankful I had listened to The Don. This news gave me the one thing that I needed at that moment more than anything: hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment