Monday, June 24, 2013

57 : Stick With Traditions

Growing up, I always loved summer.  Of course it was partly because of the beautiful weather.  And the time off from school.  But it was more than that.  It was the events and traditions of summer that I loved more than anything.  Grilling out.  Going to the beach or the pool.  Watching the sunset.  Getting ice cream.  Getting out of town for the weekend to go to the cottage.  How could you not love summer?  As an adult, I continued to enjoy summertime and as a Chicagoan, I can say there is little that is better than summer in Chicago.  It's almost our reward after surviving the winter here.  Going for a run along the lake path.  Hitting up Wrigley for a cubs game.  Enjoying how late it stays light in the evenings.  Summertime just made everything a little more tolerable.  I mean, let's be honest-Mondays at work were not nearly as rough in June or July as they were in February.  As a single mom now, I wanted to continue some of my childhood traditions with my kids.  I tried to take them for ice cream one sunday evening (only my older son could eat it, my youngest was too small still) but even the simplest of trips were stressful with two little ones.  I know, it's just ice cream, right?  Well, I had both my boys in the stroller (sweating) and we fought the line to get in.  Then the ice cream was dripping - I had to grab napkins - my youngest started freaking out because he too wanted ice cream (SWEATING!) and the entire place was looking at us and I was so fricken hot thought I think I might pass out.  My oldest had ice cream everywhere and his hands were sticky but he didn't care- he was happy as a clam.  I wanted to make this a fun tradition for them as it had been for me, but I worried it would be so different for them.  They just had me.  They had their dad as well, but not at the same time.  It was just me trying to be there for both of them at all times.  I'm sure I was failing one of them by being too focused on the other and I felt sad I couldn't provide for my kids what my parents had provided for me.  I had this perfect visual of my childhood - riding back from my grandparents cottage (most likely in a station wagon) and stopping for ice cream on the way home.  I don't know how many times we did that, but it was just our thing.  I can picture my parents in the front of the car and I smile fondly thinking of us all just happy together.  I'm curious if my parents remember this as peaceful and enjoyable as I do.  I don't remember the fighting with my brother or the teasing of my sister that probably took place the entire car ride.  I just remember us returning from the cottage on Sunday evening and stopping for ice cream.  So, I planned to continue with the summertime traditions for my kids.  It may be different for them than it was for me, but this was all they would ever know.  And hopefully, they would look back someday and remember it all fondly, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment