Wednesday, June 5, 2013

38 : Remind Yourself You are Only Human

Shortly after all this mess with my marriage happened, my brother called with some news. Some BIG news. He and his wife were expecting their first child. I had never been sure whether or not they would have kids. I always said (when asked) I wouldn’t be surprised either way. But I certainly wasn’t expecting the call that day.  I was excited for my brother. Of course I was. He and his wife were great people who would no doubt make wonderful, loving parents. And as a mother myself, surely I could appreciate how exciting this time was for them. Yet at the same time, the news almost immediately made me feel sad –like I got the wind knocked out of me. Hearing someone else’s joyous news only made me feel worse about what was happening in my own life. They were moving forward and I was going backwards –or in the very least- I was stuck. I’m ashamed to admit it, but that’s how I felt. I reacted appropriately to the news- I did not want my brother to be offended. I was truly happy for them and they deserved this. A few days later, I broke down to a friend and who immediately validated my feelings.

Of course hearing that news would make you sad. You’re only human.

It was true. I was only human. I was going through probably the most difficult time in my life. It was okay to be sad. I acknowledged this myself and then I let it go.  I wouldn't become that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment