Tuesday, June 11, 2013

44 : Things Will Get Better

Everything about getting a divorce is stressful.  Everything.  The shock of initially finding out. The pain that comes along with that.  The fear about what your future holds.  And then of course the legal action that needs to take place.  For me, things got the most stressful once my husband and I engaged attorneys.  For the most part, we had agreed pretty early on as to how we wanted to settle things.  But enter legal counsel and suddenly things got a little more complicated.  They were only trying to do their job- his lawyer trying to protect him, mine trying to protect me.  But still, it made things all the more real and intense and stressful.  I'm sure to the legal eye, this was an easy, text book divorce case.  But to me this wasn't just any divorce.  This was my divorce!  I reached my breaking point one evening as I read through the draft of our settlement agreement.  This was what our relationship had been reduced to - dissecting line items on a legal document.  This was not who we were.  This was not how we started.  I still didn't even understand how we had gotten here (although I had stopped trying to understand (see post #36).  The whole process was...well...draining.  I don't know that I could find a better word for it.  It was just emotionally draining.  The next day I ran into a friend at work.  Without saying anything she could tell that something was wrong and pulled me aside.  Fortunately for me, she had also been through a divorce and was able to provide me the perspective I needed right then.

This is the hardest part right now, where you are.  I promise it gets so much better.

I knew she was right.  Things had already gotten better.  I was no longer hoping to work things out with my husband.  I had accepted this was the course we were going to take.  I had even grown stronger with knowing all of this.  I still didn't know where my life was headed, but I knew she was right.  Things could only get better from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment