Sunday, June 16, 2013

49 : Be The Bigger Person

Mother's day came and went without much acknowledgement from my husband (soon to be ex) this year.  Of course my nanny got me a present and card from my boys (she was so good to me!)  but from my husband (soon to be ex), I only received a text message wishing me a nice day.  In the past, he had always been incredibly thoughtful for special days.  And then he left me.  I truly didn't expect anything from him this year.  And I wasn't even disappointed when I received nothing.  It wasn't until someone else expressed to me how mad they were about it, that made me realize how wrong it was.  It had nothing to do with him or with me.  It was about our kids and teaching them what Mother's Day meant and why it was special.  I wasn't angry (honestly) and I wouldn't hold a grudge.  Instead, I vowed to do something nice for him on Father's Day.  Not because I thought he deserved it, but because because my kids did.  I pondered over gift ideas for several weeks in search of the right item.  It didn't need to be big or expensive.  I just wanted to do something thoughtful for him from our kids.  And then with the help of a friend, the right idea came to me.  I filmed a conversation with my 2 year old, asking him questions about his dad.  It was beyond adorable.  I watched it myself almost 20 times the days leading up to Father's Day.  I would send it the morning of.  That was it.  That was our gift.  Just something small, thoughtful and more valuable than any present would ever be.  I could've been bitter and I could've just done nothing for him.  But being the bigger person just felt so much better.  That's what my kids deserved, so that is what I would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment