Monday, June 10, 2013

43 : Go Back to Work

Well it had been about 2 months that I was off of work (see post #6) before I began to feel I was ready to return.  Yes, there was a part of me that had grown accustomed to going to yoga daily (see post #9), hanging out in coffee shops drinking whole milk lattes (see post #12) and working away on my book (see post #31).  But in truth, I knew there was a part of me that was just avoiding having to face my colleagues and explain to them what had happened.  As I mentioned previously, my boss had been extremely supportive (see post #23) .  She kept my situation quiet out of respect for my privacy.  I was nervous that this would cause even more speculation upon my return, but I also appreciated it because I didn't want to have to share the very private details of my life with a slew of coworkers.  The lines could sometimes be blurry and just because I had good relationships at work, didn't mean I wanted to talk about my life there.  I went back to my primary care physician and she suggested it was time for me to return.  I couldn't deny it- I had already sincerely appreciated the time off.  I prepared myself mentally for the big return in 2 weeks.  Going back was absolutely the right thing to do.  People didn't care why I had been out.  (I mean, I'm sure they were curious) but they didn't ask.  What they did do was express to me repeatedly how much I was missed.  How valuable I was to the team.  How happy they were to see me back.  How much better things would be now that I was there again.  Before all of this had happened, my life outside of work was my everything and my job was just...well, my job. It's crazy how life works sometime.  These people embraced me upon my return.  I knew then that my decision to return had been the right one.  Being back at work where I was respected and needed made me feel all the better in my personal life, too.  I never knew that my job would mean so much to me.  But it did. And it was good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment