Sunday, June 2, 2013

35 : Tackle the To Do List

In the beginning, it was all about just getting through the day (see post #2).  As time went on though, I began to realize this would not be solved overnight.  While at some points I was at my wits end craving time to myself- at other points, I found myself alone with all the time in the world.  There was so much that was out of my control.  My husband's choices.  The legal process.  What our calendar looked like for the next several months or year for that matter.  I decided to put my focus on things I could control.  I dusted off that long To Do List - (you know, the back burner To Do list.  The list of things that sit on there for weeks, a month or maybe longer) and prepared myself to take action.  Clean out closet/dressers.  Get caught up on photo albums.  Clean out kids closet/dressers.  Organize file cabinet/bills/paperwork.  Drop off clothes to salvation army.  These were the less fun, but necessary tasks that had been set aside, put off and just delayed because, well, they could be.  Well not anymore.  If I had this time on my hands, and I couldn't fix my life that quickly, I might as well find another way to be productive.  I began tackling these dreaded tasks (and being the sick person I am- I added even more to it!)  I loved the pleasure I got in accomplishing things on my list.  It gave me a sense of satisfaction.  It helped me to focus on something other than just my problems at the moment.  It helped to pass time. This was not the path I ever saw my life taking, but if I was stuck here I might as well take advantage of it.  And that was just what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment