Wednesday, July 31, 2013

94 : Get Your House in Order

So often, the word divorce was associated with an ending.  I mean, I know that's what is was-the end of a marriage.  But over the past couple months, I began to think of it as the beginning.  The beginning of a new life.  The opportunity to start over fresh.  It was reassuring to me, when I framed it up that way.  Part of the starting over for me, was to get my house in order.  And by house, I mean the business, the papers, the bills, the finances, the bottom line.  Truthfully, I had always been the one to head up this part, but I had a partner in the past to make decisions with me, to get a gut check from and to help guide me.  Although I capable of taking care of this, I felt more comfortable knowing the responsibility wasn't mine alone.  And then my husband left me.  And I suddenly had some extreme changes coming my way (some incoming, some outgoing) and I needed advice on how to best move forward.  I wanted to believe that my husband (soon to be ex) would make good on all the promises he was legally making to me.  But I also wanted to be prepared should something fall through, so I didn't find myself in a bind.  I reached out to a financial advisor to look at everything.  For a fee, she would prepare plans for me regarding my daily cash flow, my retirement and my education savings.  It may not have been what I needed at that exact moment (another fee) but it felt good to get it all in order.  I was starting fresh.  I was planning for the future.  My future.  And it felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment