Monday, July 15, 2013

78 : Plan a Divorce Weekend

I was lucky.  I had wonderful friends who loved me and wanted to plan a weekend away to celebrate the start of my new life.  Unfortunately, the timing didn't line up perfectly in that I wasn't actually divorced yet when we had our weekend, but the papers had been signed (see post #76) earlier that week.  Although I knew the weekend would be fun and positive, I felt overly emotional as it drew closer.  While it had gotten easier to accept what was happening over time, I was still sad that I was getting a divorce.  As I expressed this to my friends, I was immediately reassured by one of them:

Hang in there. This is the start of a new life for you. Day one of moving forward to the life you deserve. A lighter happier life with your boys. I can't wait to spend the weekend with you. We are going to purge you this weekend. Get everything out so you emerge stronger and ready to embrace your wonderful life.

We had a great weekend.  We laughed.  We cried.  We drank wine.  We ate nice dinners.  We drank some more wine.  It was the perfect retreat and I could not have asked for better company.  Upon leaving, we did a group hug and promised we would do this again next summer.  And I knew that we would.

No comments:

Post a Comment