Thursday, August 1, 2013

95 : Don't Take Any Shit

So I know from day 1, I claimed that this was going to be a positive blog.  And I feel I've stayed true to that for the most part.  But today I need to do a little bashing in order to get to my positive message.  I hope you can bare with me.

As you know by now, my husband (soon to be ex) and I were in the midst of a divorce.  While this was only my first divorce, the process itself seemed to be taking a ridiculously long time, given he and I had pretty much agreed to the terms from day 1.  I won't go into specifics, but I will say the most basic of exchanges seemed to be very delayed in getting a response.  We had been through multiple rounds of the settlement agreement and finally had completed the document to my liking.  I then signed the papers (see post #76) and they were sent over to opposing counsel.  I told my husband (soon to be ex) the day this was done, thinking it would only be a matter of days before he too signed the papers.  Days passed.  A week.  Then two weeks.  I followed up with both my husband (soon to be ex) and my attorney only to find out that nothing had been done.  My attorney was reaching out to opposing counsel again.  When it neared almost a month after the papers had been signed, I decided to call my husband (soon to be ex) to discuss this with him.  Our exchanges had been straight forward and factual as of late.  I wouldn't say they were pleasant, but there had been no arguing. So of course we could touch base on where the divorce stood, right?  Surely he too would want this to be over soon- every exchange either of us had with our attorneys was costing us by the hour.  (And again, we had agreed on the terms since day 1!)  We covered some details about the kids when we first got on the phone.  And then I asked him the status of everything.  The response was inappropriately matched with the question.  I immediately heard anger on the other end.  He began shouting and swearing at the top of his lungs.  As a friend described, it was like a raccoon trapped in a corner that was hissing his way out.  I thought we should've been able to have a civil conversation, but clearly I misjudged the situation.  I tried to temper the exchange, which only made him all the more furious.  F**k it.  I told him he didn't get to speak to me that way and hung up.  I would pay the attorneys whatever it took to get this resolved.  I had enough stress in my life, I didn't need this shit.




No comments:

Post a Comment