Friday, July 26, 2013

89 : Get Your Flirt On

People always said, YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO MEET YOUR HUSBAND IN A BAR.  Well that was just ridiculous.  I had several friends who proved that wrong.  I met my husband in a strip joint for crying out loud (not that I was by any means an example to follow).  Let's be honest though, things had changed a bit since I was last in the dating scene.  Meeting someone in a bar at 37 (as a single mom with 2 little kids) was not the same as meeting someone in your 20's.  In truth, I hadn't thought all that much about dating.  I mean, I thought about it in that I wanted to meet someone else and I hoped that through friends I would be eventually be introduced to a good guy.  But the whole process of trying to meet guys, going out on dates, the not knowing, the games.  Oh god, I hated the thought of having to go through all of that again.  There was online dating.  And yes, I needed to be open minded but for some reason, I wasn't quite ready to go there yet.  (Technically, I was still married, so try explaining that one on eHarmony).  A friend at work told me about Tinder- the dating app that used your phone's GPS to match you with people in your area.  By simply viewing a couple pictures you could decide whether or not you "liked" someone.  If you both "liked" each other, then you were a match.  And if you were a match, then you could text back and forth within the app.  Yes, this was the new world of  "dating".  Texting back and forth with a perfect stranger that you may have thought was cute based on a picture.  (And hopefully it was really them and not some freak pulling a manta te'o!)  At first I thought- this is just what the world needs.  Even less personal communication!  But then I realized, this WAS just what I needed.  No commitment.  No rush.  I could respond if/when I wanted to and ignore or block if need be.  All they saw was my name, age and a couple pictures.  Single moms everywhere- this was it!  You could be sitting at home on your couch with a glass of wine, having a little fun flirting and getting some attention at the same time.  Why hadn't I thought of this?

No comments:

Post a Comment