Friday, July 12, 2013

75 : Imagine the Life You Want

When the word divorce first became a reality for me, I felt destroyed.  I never saw my life playing out this way and it made me sick just to think about it.  I was fortunate to have people around me who provided support through their thoughts, good energy, inspirational articles, prayers, words of wisdom, what have you.  Among all of those, there was one article in particular, that really struck a cord.  It talked about the positive aspects of getting a divorce.  Yes, the word positive as it related to the word divorce.  It talked about the choices that I now had in front me.  It felt odd to think I had any control over the situation because in truth the divorce had never been my choice.  But in reading this article I began to feel differently.  Even the happiest of couples could probably look at each other and acknowledge there was a thing or two that they would want to change in their spouse.  I'm not talking major characteristics (okay, well is some cases, yes) but just minor tweaks here and there.  This was my opportunity to start over and have everything I ever wanted.  It was possible.  I could have it.  I could create whatever life I wanted.  I imagined myself in the future.  I was remarried to a loving, committed, patient, selfless man (alright, if we are being honest here he was also tall, dark, handsome, rich, athletic & had a thick head of hair - come on, why not go for it?) This still may not have been what I ever wanted, but I wasn't powerless.  This was my chance to create all the happiness I wanted and deserved.  I would take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment