Monday, July 8, 2013

71 : Spend July 4th at Bill's Lake

I had only been back to work (see post #43) for less than 3 months, when I decided it was time to take a week off.   It was over the 4th of July holiday- our office was already closed 2 days so I planned to take off the whole week. It was the perfect time of year for a little roadtrip to get out of the city. My first stop was to visit my friend Nikki in Detroit for a couple days.  I had stayed with her so many times in the past, it was like just being with family. Our kids got along well- my oldest was very comfortable there which was nice. And then my boys and I made our way to my sister’s cottage on Bill's Lake.  It was amazing how just being away from the city for a few days made such a difference.  We grilled out.  We ate corn on the cob.  We played board games.  We went water skiing.  We watched the kids play with sparklers.  We put together a 1000 piece puzzle.  We made s'mores in the fire pit (which are still delicious at 37!) Spending a week away from the day to day reality of work and life in general was just the break I needed.  I'm not going to say I didn't think about my husband (soon to be ex) at all while I was there because I did.  We had spent a couple summers there over the 4th in the past.  But I didn't really miss him.  I didn't feel sad he wasn't there.  Being away refreshed my perspective.  It reminded me how much I liked my life.  I was happy in my life.  It reminded me how everything that was happening was truly his loss.  I returned to Chicago feeling relaxed and ready to take on whatever came my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment