Sunday, July 28, 2013

91 : Write a Letter to Your Child

I decided a few weeks back to start a new tradition for my kids (see post #79).  I would write them a letter every year on their birthday.  I went to Target and found the perfect leather journals for each of them - blue for Jack, green for Rory.  Now I just needed to sit down and write.


Dear Rory,

Happy Birthday!  You are 1!!! It still blows my mind that you are already 1- the time has flown by.  This year has been a very different year for me.  As you will learn one day, your father and I ended our marriage when you were only 6 months old.  I won't go into specifics about that- but I want you to know it had nothing to do with you or Jack.  I was very sad that things happened this way- and if it wasn't for you and your brother, I don't know how I would've gotten through this.  You gave me strength.  You showered me with love.  You warmed my heart.  I love you so very much and I am so thankful I have you.  You are a very VERY easy baby.  You are extremely chill and you are always happy.  If you ever do cry, I know something is wrong because you are always so easy going.  You have a great appetite.  I worry I won't be able to keep up with it as you get older:) You love all food- veggies, fruit, you name it.  Oh- you don't like cottage cheese though:)  Sometimes I tease Jack that you will be bigger than him one day because he will only eat 2 bites then run off to play and you will sit for 30 minutes eating.  You and Jack are already good buddies.  You laugh at him all the time.  He tries to wrestle with you at times and it makes me very nervous (you are a baby!) but you just laugh the whole time.  You guys share a room right now and you are by far the better sleeper.  Please don't change!  I put you to bed between 6:30-7 and you sleep until 7:30 in the morning.  You are not walking yet but are very close.  You will pull yourself up and take a few steps by holding onto something.  I don't know how I will keep up with you both once you are officially mobile!  When I was pregnant with you, I wondered what it would be like to have 2 kids.  I didn't understand how I could love anything else the way I loved Jack.  And then you arrived.  And I just felt it immediately.  I think I grow more in love with you every single day.  When I walk into your room in the morning and you are sitting in your crib- you get a big smile on your face as you see me.  I look forward to that every day.  And then at night, when I come home from work, you see me, cruise across the room and climb on me.  It's the best part of my day.  We are a team - you, Jack and I.  And there is no other place in the world I would rather be.  

Thank you for all the happiness you've brought into my life.

I love you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment