Wednesday, July 17, 2013

80 : Dust Off the Running Shoes

Before I left for my divorce weekend (see post #78), Megs told me to pack my running shoes.  It had been a long time since I had last run.  I was out of shape.  I didn't even know if I could run anymore.  But I listened to her and obediently packed the shoes in my bag.  Friday morning we woke, had our coffee and then decided it was time.  I got myself ready, did a minute of stretching and off we went.  It was funny how I had run a marathon just a few short years ago, and here I was now intimidated with the idea of running 2 miles.  But I tried.  We started slow and made our way down to the beach before looping back around.  It felt good, familiar.  I was reminded almost immediately how great running made me feel, both physically and mentally.  In total, it was 2.5 miles.  Not bad at all.  We went again the next day, this time adding an additional loop to make the route 3 miles total.  I couldn't believe I was running again, just like that.  I promised myself to try to work this back into my schedule at home.  It felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment