Friday, October 11, 2013

166 : My Compass is Broken

Life is funny.  And I mean that in the most sarcastic way possible.  This past year for instance.  One minute, I'm at the hospital giving birth to my second child and the next, I'm divorced.  What the F?  The lord or the universe (whatever your belief is) has a sick sense of humor.  I've spent months trying to navigate this life change.  There have been so many aspects.  Healing emotionally.  Check.  I recognize this is a long process and think I've made significant improvement in this area since the news first broke.  Living for today.  Check.  I'm very much a planner so this has been difficult. I've worked hard to shift my focus to what is relative for today.  It's an ongoing struggle, but it should be noted there has been some positive growth in this area.  Being brave about the future.  This is probably my most difficult adjustment.  Truthfully, the future is something I've worried about my entire life.  What is next?  How will I get there?  Will my kids be okay?  Will I live in this apartment forever?  I can see how it would look as though this directly conflicts with Living for today, which is why I try to be brave and silence the noise in my head.  But every now and then, when I slow down and think about the future (it's only natural, right?) - I realize I don't know what direction I'm heading in.  My internal compass is clearly broken.  It is then that I remember something my dad said to me at one point.

Your future is bright.  It may be a little blurry right now, but it's definitely bright.

It still in no way gives direction as to where I should be going, but it does give me comfort.  And sometimes, that's just enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment