Monday, October 21, 2013

176 : You're Better Off...

Well this is probably the silliest of things to blog about but here goes. I started watching Homeland over the weekend. Yes, Homeland. The show that people have been raving about for what seems like years and I never had access to it before. Also, my Ex wasn't interested in watching it. He heard about the premise and decided it was 'too close to home' to watch. I could appreciate that point of view and there seemed to be plenty of other shows on that it never really mattered. But I was always intrigued myself and wished I had someone to watch it with me. My Ex was always extremely opinionated about things. The craziest of things, too. I always knew this about him and although it was trying at times I did my best to embrace it because that is what you do when you love someone. You take all the things they do that drive you crazy and do your best to accept them. I'm sure I had a long list of things that drove him crazy as well, but that's besides the point. So fast forward to my current state and I am divorced, home alone yet again on a Saturday night (the boys were in bed) and I decided now was better than ever to jump start this series. I convinced my cable provider to cut me a deal on Showtime for the time being and within a matter of minutes it was a go. I stayed up until 2 in the morning that first night watching season 1. No, I didn't finish the whole season, but I was so enthralled I just had to watch '1 more episode' several times in a row. It wasn't until my 3 year old came out of his room for his usual transition into my bed that I realized I should probably go to sleep. And then I smiled to myself. What a good show I can gotten myself into and just another thing that my Ex was too stubborn to watch. I didn't need someone like that in my life. Of course I appreciated a person having a point of view or standing behind what they believed in. But I knew that in addition to all the other qualities that I'd collected in my head, I really wanted someone who was much more easy going. Someone that was willing to try new things, even if it wasn't their cup of tea. Something as stupid as watching a show with me, just because it was something that I wanted to do. It was funny how the smallest of things could give me some perspective and reassurance. I climbed into bed knowing I'd have a good nights sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment