Tuesday, October 22, 2013

177 : Everybody's Doing It

Before I met my husband (now Ex) I had people suggesting I try online dating.  Hell no!  That was not for me.  I wouldn't stoop to that level to meet someone.  No way, no how.  I mean no offense to anyone who has done this.  Truly.  At the time I just didn't feel this was the right decision for me.  I went on to meet someone through more traditional channels (let's just say our families were close) and thought that was the end of it.  Turns out, I was wrong.  So how does a working single mother of two children find time to meet someone, let alone date?  I made it known to friends and family I was ready and open to being set up.  So far only my attorney had delivered on that (see post #153) but it later turned out the guy had suddenly started dating someone else (that's besides the point).  I tried Tinder (see post #89) which was fun and entertaining for a couple weeks.  And just as I was starting to communicate with a few guys a technical glitch caused the app to stop working.  Times had changed since I had last been in the dating world.  This made me very uncomfortable, but I knew the longer I sat in that discomfort the longer it would take me to meet someone else.  So, I signed up for eHarmony over the weekend.  It took 2 rather large glasses of wine, and hours of searching for the best profile pictures I could find of myself, but I did it.  I was still a skeptic, that would never change.  And the initial matches were not promising which only proved I was right for being so.  But I was still willing to TRY.  I didn't have to act on anything,  I didn't have to communicate with anyone if I didn't want.  But I had signed up.  I was going to try.  And if I met someone then cool.  And if I didn't, well then I didn't.  I think I was doing pretty darn good considering how much had happened in such a short time.  In less than a year, my husband has announced he was unhappy, moved out, filed for divorce and the divorce was official.  IN LESS THAN ONE YEAR.  And I was now healing my heart, moving forward and active on eHarmony.  I must admit, this was not ever where I saw my life going.  This is where I was, though, and despite everything that had happened, I knew I deserved better.  So instead of wallowing in my misery, or focusing on how awful the past year was, I was committed to moving on and creating a new life for myself.  Online dating, here I come.  What else did I have to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment