Friday, August 9, 2013

103 : Note Your Progress Part 2

Well, I was 8 months into the year and what a year it had been so far.  To recap, my husband had left me.  I had hit rock bottom, and then slowly began crawling my way out.  I was on the upstream now, so much so that I had joined the Tinder world of "dating" (see post #89).  I had several guys that I had been 'matched' with but there were 2 in particular that really stuck out to me.  The first was James.  I recognized him rather quickly as a former cast member of The Real World many many years ago. (Yes, I have a sick memory like that).  I actually remember thinking he was cute years ago when I watched the show.  Fast forward now to the oddest introduction I had ever known.  Through text messages, I slowly got to know him a little.  He was flirty, fun, texted regularly and was most likely trouble but he made me smile. And then there was Kevin. He was a law student studying to take the bar exam (hot!).  He was definitely slower to interact (he was studying!) but he seemed to be making a genuine effort to get to know me and offered quite a bit about himself, his family, etc.  I was surprised at how quickly I began to enjoy talking with my new boyfriends - 2 people that I had never even met and had no plans to meet anytime soon- but they gave me attention and were a nice distraction.  And then one day, my app stopped working.  Yup, it just stopped.  I was locked out for hours and after several attempts to log in, I was finally permitted to enter only to find my matches had been erased.  Oh no.  Not James and Kevin.  This was a tragedy.  I spent the next 3 days reaching out to Tinder IT (which I envisioned as 2 kids smoking weed in an apartment while they were fielding complaints- who expected this to be so popular?) resetting my account, resetting my phone, turning my phone on and off, trying my account through another friend's phone and finally deleting my account all together only to create a new one.  None of which worked.  I was so disappointed.  I was just starting to have some fun.  Why oh why was this happening to me?  And then I caught myself in that moment, realizing what I was upset about.  Yes, my husband had blindsided me with ending our marriage only 8 short months ago and here I was now acting as though the worst thing ever to happen to me was to lose contact with 2 men that were in reality complete strangers.  It made me smile to think about.  I had made some progress.  I would still be working on getting the app back up and running but for now, the progress was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment