Monday, August 12, 2013

106 : Take a Deep Breath

My husband (soon to be ex) and I had gotten into the pattern of trading off the kids every other weekend.  Initially, I was very uncomfortable at the thought of not having my boys - even if it was just for a day or two.  But as time went on, I began to discover there were some benefits to having time to myself (see posts #58 and #90).  It was a big change for all of us.  It was difficult for me to watch the boys leave with their Dad.  I often made plans those days, so I wouldn't have to see it.  When I had to be there though, it never seemed to get easier to watch them go away without me.  And it was hard on the days they returned as well.  The boys tended to whine and cry more on those days.  They had a more difficult time going to sleep.  They were more challenging (this applied just to my older son, but I'm sure the younger one wasn't far behind).  I found those evenings to be some of my most strenuous ones.  In many ways it was a blessing because I was instantly reminded of how loved and needed I was.  But it was also a bit of a punishment because I hadn't seen them all weekend.  This was a transition for all of us and it would take time for us to get into our rhythm.  On those nights especially, I tried my best to be patient, take a deep breath and go with the flow.  And if that wasn't enough, there was always had a nice stash of Sauv Blanc in the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment