Tuesday, March 18, 2014

323 : Too Many Questions

So much of this past year had been spent trying to determine what my next move in life would be.  Where would I live?  Did I want to be closer to my family?  Did I want to be closer to my friends?  Was it possible that some day I would know what I wanted?  I had reservations about every opportunity that came my way.  The thought of returning to my native Michigan meant that I would have a wonderful support system through my family.  However, I was concerned that I would have nothing of my own.  No job.  No friends.  Not to mention the co-parenting would be more challenging across state borders.  And my thoughts of moving to the suburbs equally posed questions.  Could I afford anything in the suburbs?  Would it be hard to meet new people as a single mom?  Would it be harder to meet men specifically than in the city?  I seemed to go back and forth about what the right next step was until I finally conceded there was no right step.  I wanted to be in the suburbs.  Was it right?  Would I meet people?  I had no idea.  I realized though that the situation I had been put in had already forced me out of my comfort zone.  And because of that, I had met a lot of new people in the past year.  Not only had I gotten divorced, I had also watched all but one of my best friends relocate to the suburbs.  Did I miss them?  Every day.  But it hadn't changed our friendships in the least.  What it had done was allow me to make more friends.  Different friends.  City friends.  Single friends.  Call them what you will- I seemed to have unintentionally branched out in the past year.  My husband had left me.  My friends had moved out of the city.  And yet I was still here, doing, well, just fine.  I needed to remember that.  Nothing would be solved over night.  But every lesson I had learned in the past year, was worth noting to myself again when I began to question things.  The answers would always come.

No comments:

Post a Comment