Tuesday, March 4, 2014

309 : Single Moms Rock

As a single mom, I had a deeper respect for all the moms before me that had done this on their own.  And for all the moms out there that were currently raising kids on their own.  Being a parent was a lot of work, but being a single mom was A LOT of work.  As I joined this new group, I became much more aware of other women out there in a similar position.  They inspired me.  Just as I hoped I was inspiring someone else, I felt inspired to hear stories of others.  Single moms were everywhere.  Landing on their feet and conquering the world.  I was watching the Academy Awards the other night, and was nearly brought to tears by Jared Leto's acceptance speech.  I know that may sound sappy, and admittedly it came at the end of a long weekend, but I felt personally acknowledged as he thanked his mother.  It was possible for one woman to raise 2 boys to be smart, talented, successful men of the world.  I would never get tired to being reminded of that.  There were so many ways to describe me other than just 'single mother' but if I was going to have that title, I might as well own it.  Better yet, I might as well rock it.


No comments:

Post a Comment