Monday, January 27, 2014

273 : The Dinner Party

I attended a very mature dinner party this past weekend.  I say mature, because I've been getting together with this same group of friends for years now and almost every time we got rowdy and out of hand.  Sometimes there wasn't even dinner involved.  This time, though, it was different.  The host was my friend, The Don (see post #63) and she delivered far and above what I had expected.  The table was set and looked beautiful, the food was perfection and the wine was, well, ever present.  I was the only single one among a group of couples, and while I was aware of that, I never felt out of place.  We sat down to dine and once everyone had their plates dished up, the topic of parenthood came into play.  We all laughed about the many clichés that had proven to be true when you become a parent.  (Less sex and frequent talk of poop among other things).  Then someone asked what the biggest surprise was in becoming a parent?  It was interesting to hear the responses- both from the women and the men.  They were all true.  Every person's comment.  True and relatable.  I felt immediately supported and validated in all my efforts as a mom.  And what was even more interesting was that my challenges as a single mom, were very similar to the challenges of any mom.  Sure, I did have more on my plate in some ways, but my life would be very similar had I still been married.  I probably would've still felt tired all the time from the demands my children put on me, I would overanalyze my choices and I would still seek feedback and advice from my mom and other moms who were closer to it than any dad.  I enjoyed the comfort of knowing I was not in it alone.  I knew that at my core, but it was always nice to be reminded, especially over a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment