Monday, January 13, 2014

259 : A Shocking Realization

I was leisurely hanging out at home on Friday night when I came to a shocking realization.  I couldn't be certain, but I think I was now the target audience for Friday night television.  When did this happen?  I remember a time when Friday nights were for going out.  I know at one point, I actually thought- why would they put that show on Friday nights?  Nobody's home on Friday nights!  And now, I was their primary audience.  I loved nothing more than to come home from work, take my bra off (immediately!) put on comfy pants, order food, pour a glass of wine and just settle into the couch.  Was that so wrong?  Was that why my husband left me?  Don't answer that, actually.  I mean, yes, I did socialize from time to time.  But that had become the exception, not the norm.  Even when I was married, we would usually just plan something for 1 night on the weekend - and most likely it was Saturday.  We'd stay in on Fridays and watch a movie or catch up on a television series from DVR or OnDemand.  I was tired from the long week- I needed to relax.  Did men not get tired, too?  When I had been home over the holidays, I started to get into regular Friday night TV.  And by 'regular', I mean basic cable and not HBO, Showtime, etc.  I watched Shark Tank and Blue Bloods with my dad. I watched Fashion Police with my mom.  The realization, though, was not about watching the same shows as my parents.  Perhaps that was a different blog post for another day.  I think what was so crazy to me, was that I was enjoying watching prime time television on a Friday night.  After I got home this past Friday and rejoiced in my article publication (see post #208 and #258) I turned on the TV only to learn that I had missed half of Shark Tank.  And you know what?  I was disappointed about it.  Then I noticed every other commercial was for Match.com.  Was someone playing a sick joke on me?  I pictured a group of advertisers sitting in a room going over the demographic for Friday night TV-  single mom in her mid to late 30s...just enjoying a little sauvignon blanc after her long week.   Well if that was the truth, they had me pegged.  Thinking about all of this made me laugh although I had to own it.  There was nothing to be ashamed of, right?  That reminded me, I'd have to set my DVR to start recording Shark Tank moving forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment