Friday, January 10, 2014

256 : My Life : A Work in Progress

So I was redoing my bedroom for a fresh start to the new year (see post #246).  My bed frame had arrived last weekend.  My bedding came 2 days ago and I had purchased new lamps that same evening.  And finally my bed side tables had arrived last night.  I got my kids in bed and poured myself a big glass of wine while I sat down to assemble my bed side tables.  The bedding came out of the wash and I was ready to make my new bed up.  I got the bed side tables situated on both sides and put the matching lamps in place.  I stood back and smiled proudly at the sight before me.  I grabbed my phone to take a picture of it to text to some friends.  And then before doing so, I stopped.  I still didn't have lamp shades yet.  I had my lamps, but I hadn't found shades that I liked yet, so I didn't have them.  And the bed side tables.  I liked them, but they were a little shorter than I had thought.  Would I keep them?  Was it that they were too short or was it just that they were different?  Also, I wanted a couple more patterned throw pillows as decoration.  The room wasn't done.  I couldn't send the pic out yet.  And then I stopped to think about the metaphor of how this room compared to my life itself.  I thought my life had been "complete" once I had met my then husband.  I thought we were on a path.  I thought when I had my first son that this would be my family forever.  I thought I would never feel as close to anyone as I did to my husband when my son was born.  I thought when my second son arrived that again this was my new and improved family.  I thought I would be having a third child with this same man within a couple years after having my second.  I never anticipated the dramatic change that had occurred in my life over the past year.  I never expected to be redoing my bedroom, alone.  But my life wasn't over.  Sure, it was changing but it was certainly not over.  Every point that I had thought was officially established had turned out to be just a stepping stone to something else.  I looked around my room and realized the same was true here.  The moment I got this room designed to perfection would be exactly when it was time to move and adjust again to a new space.  And then who knew how long I would be there before another door opened?  I decided to go ahead and post my pic of the room tonight, because looking at it made me feel very happy.  And since life had proved to be a never ending work in progress, I figured I might as well just stop for a minute to enjoy this.



No comments:

Post a Comment