Tuesday, January 21, 2014

267 : Awake Your Inner Artist

I was at a work outing last summer, enjoying a few adult beverages when one of the creatives told me I should go on their next shoot with them.  At the time, I don't think either of us really thought I would end up going, but it was certainly a fun idea.  I decided to take advantage of the festive mood and asked my boss that same evening.  She agreed whole heartedly it was a good idea. Knowing that what happens at parties often stays at parties, I wasn't sure if people would take this seriously.   And I wasn't sure if I was serious.  I had a lot on my plate right now.  I was working a single mom with 2 small children.  I didn't know if I would be able to coordinate the time out of town with my kids (or with work for that matter).  The old me probably would've just let the idea go because it was just one more thing to coordinate for myself on top of everything else.  But you know what?  New Year New Molly. So, I waited a couple weeks before approaching the topic again.  I went to my boss and she agreed it was still on.  Yes!  The shoot was in January, in California- what a perfect time to get out of the midwest.  We were going out there to cover a photo contest.  There were 8 contestants and 4 judges, and let me tell you the judges were cool.  All of them.  I found it to be so interesting how these 4 photographers were totally inspired by each other.  They challenged each other and pushed each other to be better.  They had such respect for one another and their craft.  It was truly motivating to watch.  It had been a long time since I had been that close to the creative product.  At times it felt like my job had become much more administrative than creative.  But just being around such a big production made me feel alive inside.  It felt good to be inspired, challenged and creative again.

No comments:

Post a Comment