Saturday, January 4, 2014

250 : The Single Mom Version of the Penis Talk

It begins for boys at a very young age.  A very very young age.  Their obsession with their penis.  I can hardly even type that word without giggling a little.   It's immature, yes I know.  But still, I giggle just the same.  Before I was a mom, I had no idea about this.  I mean, I knew that boys liked to play around with it, but I didn't comprehend to what extent.  And I had no idea how young it started.  Both of my boys had baby boners.  It shocked the hell out of me the first time I saw it- again, I had heard this happened, but they were literally babies!  And then it seemed like as soon as they could actually grasp anything, their hands just went there.  Every time.  Just try changing a diaper without a hand instantly clamping down on the little wee.  It's not going to happen.  Most recently, my youngest had started saying 'pee pee'.  He would say it when he went to the bathroom, but it was also in reference to his unit.  I know for certain that my oldest never grabbed his crotch and called it out by name at 17 months, but each child was special in their own way I guess:)  I was going through the bedtime routine the other evening and was trying to get both of my boys in their pjs.  They were both a little rowdy- they had been cooped up inside for almost a week while the colds were fighting their way through their little bodies.  I nearly had to pin down my youngest so I could change his diaper.  And then began our first mother to son(s) penis talk.  He grabbed himself and announced proudly PEE PEE.  This caught my oldest's attention.  Perhaps he had not realized prior to that moment that he was not the only one with a pee pee. Or maybe he was just curious in general, but he crouched down by my youngest and repeated PEE PEE.  And then my oldest said he wanted to touch my youngest's pee pee.  It was innocent enough but I had to respond quickly and NOT LAUGH!  I told my oldest to get back a little (he was very close) and that pee pees were private and we didn't touch other people's privates.  So then he asked if he could touch his own pee pee?  Yes.  And then he asked if he could touch my pee pee?  No.  I thought it might be too much to explain at that moment that I didn't have a pee pee, so I just left it at NO.  He seemed satisfied with that answer and then went on to state all possibilities of interacting with anyone else's pee pee and how he could not touch it, but he could touch his pee pee.  Yes.  And then he suddenly wanted fruit snacks and that was the end of our first penis talk.  I laughed to myself thinking of all the good penis talks we still had in front of us.  I might have to do some research on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment