Saturday, January 25, 2014

271 : How Can I Stay Mad at You?

The other night, I attempted to be a super cool mom.  I ignored the rigid schedule we usually followed and after their doctor appointment that evening, I got my kids McDonalds for dinner.  Scoff if you will at that, but McDonalds was about as cool as you could get to a 3 year old.  If you recall, the last time I took my boys to the doctor (see post #180) it was a nightmare.  And so in order to prepare for this next appointment, I had to be upfront with my 3 year old.  You can totally reason with a 3 year old, right?  Of course!  I explained to him that we had to go to the doctor for his brother and I needed his cooperation.  I was depending on him to be a good listener and my helper while we were there.  I promised if he could do that for me, I would treat him to McDonalds that night.  That's all I had to say and he was on board.  And amazingly enough- it worked!  I mean I was able to hold the threat of McD's over his head successfully for the full hour and a half we were at the doctor.  We got home and the boys quickly changed into their pajamas, washed their hands and settled at their small table in front of the TV for an episode of Jake and the Neverland Pirates.  I sat back and indulged on my own McDonalds feast (no judgement, please) thinking what a cool mom I was that night.  We finished the show, got teeth brushed and headed to their room for what I thought was going to be a quick book and then lights out.  My oldest seemed tired- he settled in without a fight and even let me tuck him in.  When I finished the book, I began to say my good nights and creep out of the room.  And here is where it all began to go down hill.  My oldest son did not want to go to bed.  But we had discussed this, remember?  He agreed if I let him stay up, he would go right to bed when I said it was time.  The tantrum that erupted was far too long for one parent to endure alone.  It was painful and I no longer felt cool in any way.  This was why I kept them on a schedule!!!  Before I knew it, it was almost 10pm.  I finally conceded and agreed to let my son lay down in my bed.  But I was mad.  All I had wanted was a little time- maybe an hour- to unwind by myself.  Having spent my only free time of the day fighting with him, I gave in and called it a night myself.  I brushed my teeth and climbed in bed not engaging my son in any way.  It didn't matter though.  My son was so thrilled to be with me, he leaned in towards me and said: Mommy, I like how your mouth smells (the toothpaste).  How could I stay mad? I like how your mouth smells.  It might have been the funniest thing I had heard in a very long time.  I turned off the lights, shut my eyes and I am pretty certain I fell asleep with a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment