Sunday, January 12, 2014

258 : Acknowledge Yourself

I am officially a published author.  Yes, it's true.  As I wrote about a while back, I had submitted an article to a local publication and it was selected (see post #208 !!)  I was humbled and elated when I learned this news but nothing could have prepared me for the feeling of receiving my "author's copies" in the mail.  I came home after work on Friday, checked my mail as per usual and nearly leapt out of my skin when I saw the large white envelope from a certain publication.  I poured myself a glass of wine and sat down to rip open the package like a giddy child.  I knew every word by heart, but there was something entirely different reading it printed for the whole world to see.  I felt overjoyed!  Reading the article made me curious about some of my other older posts.  So I topped off my wine and settled in the couch for a look back at where I had been.  It was obvious to me immediately the transformation that had taken place just since I started this blog.  It was clear that I was still finding my way emotionally and as a writer in my initial posts.  I was sad.  Hurt.  Weaker.  And then as my posts went on, I could begin to hear confidence returning in my tone.  I could feel my strength through the words.  I could tell that I can grown quite a bit over the past year.  I knew it was probably a shameless plug to call out how proud I was of myself on my own blog, but it was true.  Everyone needed acknowledgement from time to time (even if it was just from yourself).  I had put myself out there in the most real and vulnerable way possible.  I was documenting my journey of personal growth and discovery over the past year.  I felt proud of the publication in particular, but also the blog as a whole.  So I had been published. What would be next?


No comments:

Post a Comment