Friday, January 17, 2014

263 : The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Parenthood.  At times, I felt like it was the most beautiful collection of the good, the bad and the ugly.  The good came in so many forms.  As did the bad.  And the ugly...well...that's where we will start.  The other morning my alarm went off at 7am and I was shaken from a very deep sleep.  Typically my older son was nestled next to me in bed (the good!), but as I looked over I noticed he was gone.  Had I been drugged last night?  No.  I had just gone to yoga, but the intensity of the class must've knocked me out.  I had slept so soundly and deeply, I felt challenged to move at that moment.  And then my son walked in my room and announced Look what I got mommy!  He raised his hand to show off the scissors (the bad) and sharp steak knife (the ugly!) he was carrying.  Here is where my referee move would've been ideal.  TIME OUT!  I was alarmed and had to snap to attention immediately.  I explained the inappropriateness of his actions and how scared I was in seeing him carrying that knife.  He could've been severely hurt.  He could've hurt me.  He could've hurt his brother.  My delivery must have been dead on because he surrendered the knife and scissors immediately and looked slightly nervous.  There was no giggling or running off (as he often reacted to my discipline) so I felt like he got it.  Ah, yes.  This was my life.  And then there was the bad.  The tantrums throughout the day - particularly the ones that had started around bed time as of late.  It took 5,6,7,8 and sometimes 9 attempts to get my son in bed.  Sometimes this was almost 2 hours long.  He would want something to eat right as it was time to go to bed.  Then he'd want a new pair of pajamas. And then water.  And then there was crying (it was my son that cried, although I wanted to more than once).  Finally...there was the good.  After the above said bed time struggle, I sat outside my son's room only to hear him quietly singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.  It might have been the sweetest moment of my life to date.  It was amazing to me how such a small act could bring such joy into my life.  Hooray for the good!  I would still take it all, but it was the good that made it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment