Thursday, January 23, 2014

269 : Find Your Inner Strength

Yesterday, something very interesting happened at work.  I was in a meeting in one of the common areas of our office and I noticed a girl nearby was getting regular visitors at her desk  to console her.  I wasn't sure what was wrong and debated about asking.  And then right as my meeting ended, I was briskly taken to another and before I knew it, the day was nearly over.  Hours later, I found myself near that same girl's desk and I delicately made my way closer to inquire if everything was okay.  It wasn't.  Her boyfriend had broken up with her the day before.  He just told her he wasn't happy and that was it.  Now to be clear, this was not the interesting thing that had happened.  What was interesting to me, was how I responded to hearing the situation.  First of all, I told her that was exactly what my then husband did to me.  We both laughed at that.  My situation was entirely different than hers, but I still think she appreciated knowing she was not alone.  She asked me what I did to get over it?  And here is where it got interesting (to me at least).  I told her I went out and got really really drunk (see post #5) Then I pulled myself together.  I realized it wasn't a loss if someone didn't recognize my true value.  And then I turned towards the future and never looked back.  Okay, we all know I did look back from time to time, but you get the point.  I was proud of myself because I didn't even hesitate for 2 seconds when she asked me how I did it?  I knew exactly what to say.  And you know what?  I meant it.  I think she appreciated my words.  We had never talked that in-depth about our personal lives prior to this conversation.  At the end of the day, though, we were both just two women that wanted to be loved.  Rejection hurt, there was no denying that.  But I think I made her feel better to know that she would get through it.  And I personally was reminded of how strong I was and how far I had come.  I was glad I could be there to make anyone else feel better.  I was getting stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment