Thursday, April 17, 2014

353 : Shut It Down

For the past several months, I had been burning the candle at both ends trying to excel at work while also being the best mama I could be.  I nailed it on certain occasions.  In both regards.  I mitigated situations successfully at work and then I came home and made my Grandma Lalley's banana bread with my son.  (God Damn was it good).  I enjoyed the challenge of mastering it all at certain points but I also felt stressed at my ability to keep up.  Yesterday had been a stressful day at work.  My friend, Heather, had given her notice (see post #346) and as her final days drew closer, I began to feel more and more overwhelmed about how I would keep up in her absence.  I also had certain moments were I felt slightly discouraged by this change.  It felt like no matter how hard I tried I would always have more to do at the end of that day.  Last night, though, I did something that I had not done in a very long time.  I left the office and I didn't look back.  I didn't check my emails that night, I didn't respond to any texts and I just shut it down.  I needed a break.  For my mental health.  I would be back first thing in the morning.  They could have me all to themselves again.  Could I do this every night?  No.  I liked to work in the evenings to prepare myself for the next day.  But I could shut it down every now and then.  And so I did.  I closed my computer, left the office and didn't look back.

Go Me!


No comments:

Post a Comment