Thursday, April 3, 2014

339 : The Next Move

I am going to look at a townhouse today.  In fact, by the time you read this, I may have already gone to see it.  I've gone to see several prospective properties, so you might wonder, what is so special about this one today?  1) I like it and 2) I can afford it.  Woo Hoo!  This is progress.  The bad part that accompanies this is that there are others out there who like it and can afford it and as a result there are already multiple offers on the unit.  The last thing I want to do is get myself into a bidding war.  But I owe it to myself to go see the property first hand, and make a call based on what my gut says.  Despite all of this, there is something that makes me feel a little nervous.  I know, it's buying a place that is smaller and far more expensive than what I grew up in (although after 13 years in Chicago, my cost of living gage has adjusted accordingly).  It would be strange if I didn't feel a little nervous in making such a big decision, right?  I don't think that is it entirely though.  I have been thinking, talking and planning for 'what is next' for so long, that to think that it could actually be here kind of freaks me out.  Again, it would be weird if it didn't a little, I know, but it still gives me that nervous feeling just the same.  I know it's time.  I know I'm ready to move to a new place.  I know I will appreciate owning a unit that I pay less for monthly than I currently pay in rent.  I know that long term the suburbs are the best decision for raising my kids and my support network of friends will help make the transition so much easier.  Yet still, I feel nervous.  And after having spent a very long time learning how to manage my anxiety appropriately (see previous posts #5, #6, #7 and #9) it is uncomfortable to have it resurface just a little.  I suppose change is always a little nerve wrecking and that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.  Plus you have to invest yourself in things to get where you want to be.  This means being vulnerable…even with housing and that word alone is scary to me still.  But I am still moving forward, so I am not paralyzed by fear - just slightly nervous about it.  I think this is a positive thing.  I am going to continue to tell myself this all day today.  And regarding the townhouse, we will just have to see what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment