Sunday, April 13, 2014

349 : My Life is Getting Easier

Yesterday was the first time in a long time that I felt like my life was getting easier.  The air was full of new life and hope.  I remember a similar weekend almost 13 years ago when I had come to visit my friends for the first warm weekend in the big city. I decided right then and there I wanted to move to Chicago.  And now so many years later I was blessed again with such a beautiful day.  Yet this time, it wasn't about moving- it was a reminder that my life was getting somewhat easier.  That morning, I had gone grocery shopping with my boys.  Then we got home, packed a quick lunch and headed over to my friend Kelley's.  My oldest rode his bike and my youngest relaxed in the stroller.  I was so impressed with my oldest.  He was peeling down the street and stopped at every corner awaiting instruction.  We made it to Kelley's safely, had our lunch and then made our way back home.  Once again, my oldest cruised the sidewalk with confidence on his bike.  It was so fun to watch.  We got home and my youngest went right down for his nap.  And then I spent the afternoon prepping for the dinner party with my girls: homemade egg rolls, brown rice and a kale salad with Annie's asian sesame dressing (YUM!)  All the while my oldest kept me company at the counter by enjoying this water paints.  I was able to do stuff and he was with me but was entertaining himself! After naps, we headed out to the park; my oldest on his bike again and my youngest driving his red car.  And all the fresh air helped them go right to sleep that night.  No fights.  No meltdowns.  No delays.  They both just got in bed and as soon as their heads hit the pillow they were out.  It was amazing.  It was getting easier.  Parenting.  All on my own.  I was doing it!  Was it that I was just getting more comfortable with it?  Was it that my boys were getting older and thus becoming more manageable?  Or was it just because it was the first warm, sunny, beautiful day that we had experienced in nearly 7 months?  Quite possibly it was a trifecta of all three.  But it was getting easier so I had to stop and note that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment