Sunday, February 23, 2014

300 : As Long as You're On the Same Page

I was at a dinner party the other night (see post #299 and side note: it was fabulous!  So thankful I went) and we were talking about what worked in relationships.  Everyone's "rules" were different.  What worked for one couple, might sound crazy to another but if it worked for them, then it worked for them.  As a single woman now, I liked hearing this.  I could see it in the healthy marriages I had around me, but the conversation with new friends only brought a fresher perspective.  Every relationship was different.  I was thankful for this.  Somehow the conversation led me to remember a friend of mine, and a funny story that I want to share.  My friend - who will remain nameless - liked to flash her boobs back in the day.  Or should I say, she had a tendency to do this sometimes when she was drinking.  It's far more innocent than it sounds...think about your college experience for a minute before you judge.  She grew up as we all did, fell in love and married a wonderful man.  And then years later, at a 30th birthday/reunion vacation in South Beach, it happened again.  Here we were a decade out of college and reliving the old days and yup, the boobs came out.  Now here comes the cutest part of my story.  She called her husband the next morning and gave full disclosure.  In fact, I don't even think she got it all out before we heard "Yes, I did."  Her husband knew her so well and I'm sure this wasn't the first time it had happened.  The phone call wasn't intense or heated, it was adorable.  She giggled as she told him about it, and while I couldn't hear his response on the other end, it was obvious he accepted her completely.  They loved one another, they communicated, they had mutual trust and adoration for each other.  It worked for them.  I loved that.  I didn't know what would work for me in my next marriage (yes, I am getting remarried one day!) but I had learned a few things that would certainly NOT work. Every relationship was different.  My next one would definitely be different.  It would be much much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment